Game artist position

General Topic
討論一般的題目 // 如屬於其他版面的題目請勿在此版發表 !!

Game artist position

文章ayakiryu » 26日 5月 2010年, 11:31

I have spoke to the member of SCAD HONG Kong about the game artist position . Here is his suggestion

Leo,

Not just game objects, but game "environments".

Yes, focusing on building game environments would be a good first step. Also the job market wise, environment artist positions are definitely outnumber character artists.

Tony

My questions is does environment artist positions has more opportunity than Character artist and do I find more about the environment artist positions in between America and Asia ?

Hope you can answer my questions

Leo
ayakiryu
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章: 138
註冊時間: 17日 1月 2010年, 12:48

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

文章h2o » 26日 5月 2010年, 13:20

你想去 SCAD 讀 game 相關課程?
FB
My Lab
CG guy + Researcher + Educator
頭像
h2o
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章: 4945
註冊時間: 7日 4月 2002年, 08:00
來自: Dark Side
外號: 水水

文章ayakiryu » 26日 5月 2010年, 19:12

yes .

Anyway I hope everyone who is the expert in this matter can answer my question
ayakiryu
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章HapZungLam » 10日 6月 2010年, 11:44

Every company put in their budget differently. Like EA Canada, the character artist is definitely outnumber environmental artist.

The question I'd ask is. What is the difference between being a character artist and environmental artist. Character artist can probably do environment stuff.
頭像
HapZungLam
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章: 1143
註冊時間: 30日 8月 2001年, 08:00
來自: Vancouver

文章ayakiryu » 12日 6月 2010年, 19:07

The reason is because I 'm not keen in Character modelling plus most of my character do not have a shape of a human beings . Somehow I feel that being an enviroment artist is better than character artist .As most of the companies in the world are looking for an enviroment artist .

THis is what I heard from My friend and the tutor from SCAD , if any mistake please correct me .

One more thing I would like to ask is if working in game area outside in Hong Kong is a better choice .
ayakiryu
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章Yan_E_型二 » 13日 6月 2010年, 01:59

HapZungLam 寫:Every company put in their budget differently. Like EA Canada, the character artist is definitely outnumber environmental artist.

The question I'd ask is. What is the difference between being a character artist and environmental artist. Character artist can probably do environment stuff.

好認同,我的愚見是無論character 定environment又好,都系要起.無咩野分別.
都系要達到要求.
也不用多考慮D公司會OUTNUMBER邊類型,是個人能力啊.如果間公司突然想搞下其他野,要起character既人改做environment或者相反,打工仔都要照做架啦~
其實..我不太清楚課程上既野,如果要我一定要兩者之間做一個決定,都同時自學另外一方面的技術~ :)
頭像
Yan_E_型二
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 13
註冊時間: 19日 6月 2009年, 00:35

Re: REply

文章HapZungLam » 16日 6月 2010年, 01:50

ayakiryu 寫:One more thing I would like to ask is if working in game area outside in Hong Kong is a better choice .

Not in Vancouver. I've been laid off for some time now. The industry is still very bad.

Read Yan_E_型二's comment carefully. He is telling you the truth.

I feel that you have the passion of being a 3D artist. But this industry is not as good as you see. Just get prepared for some challenge out there.
頭像
HapZungLam
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章Ray Leung » 20日 6月 2010年, 13:39

i'm not sure how things work in game production but i'm a modeler in film vfx industry. So maybe i can give you a little piece of advice on how to "survive" as a modeler in the CG industry.

It's always tough to be a modeler as there's way too many competitions out there no matter which city you're working at. But there's one golden rule - YOU HAVE TO BE GOOD AT EVERYTHING.

the more you can do, the better chance you have got.

it doesn't matter if you've never model a human character before. You have to understand that you might come across something that you've never done before at work. The only thing that matter is whether you can pick that up as quickly as possible when you're asked to do so.

i had some experiences on character modeling, not top-of-class stuff, but good enough to get me a job. I've never done any environmental stuff before. But when they asked if i can do it, i said "no problem" without a second thought. And now, i've been working on 3 shows all about environmental modeling. So as long as you're confident about your skills with a "can do" attitude, you'll do just fine.

Hope this help :mrgreen:
Ray Leung
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章: 146
註冊時間: 12日 11月 2006年, 13:14
來自: Sydney

文章ayakiryu » 30日 6月 2010年, 22:29

Like HapZungLam said I did very enjoy in 3d especially game . The reason that I want to know the game artist position outside Hong Kong is because there aren't any game artist positions related nowadays in the Hong Kong game industry .

Moreover the Hong Kong game industry only focus on both the China and Hong Kong Market . So people who's style is not related the CHinese style like me will not be hired .
ayakiryu
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章A00017940 » 1日 7月 2010年, 03:53

I think i really got to hop in this chat... what i learn is that character animation no matter what form of character. it is a different aspect of of environment modeler... i might be wrong be character animation is way different then environmental artist...
A00017940
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 97
註冊時間: 14日 11月 2005年, 01:36
來自: HKG -> VAN -> HKG

Re: reply

文章HapZungLam » 2日 7月 2010年, 07:53

ayakiryu 寫:there aren't any game artist positions related nowadays in the Hong Kong game industry .

Correction:

There aren't many game artist related positions nowadays everywhere in the "world" (except for shanghai/beijin).

It is very tough to get into(stay in) the industry.
頭像
HapZungLam
討論區主持
討論區主持

SCAD offering

文章ayakiryu » 2日 7月 2010年, 22:22

Basically I have an offer from the master course in SCAD the Hong Kong Campus but I want to go to Australia to take the landscape architecture instead . Somehow the application I made for the Feb entry will have to take another half year to process .

Do you think I should take the master course instead or wait another half of year if the application for the Australia uni is successed ?
ayakiryu
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章Ray Leung » 3日 7月 2010年, 21:52

A00017940 寫:I think i really got to hop in this chat... what i learn is that character animation no matter what form of character. it is a different aspect of of environment modeler... i might be wrong be character animation is way different then environmental artist...

um....not sure how to compare between animation artist and modeling artist as those are very different aspect.

I'm not saying character modeling and environmental modeling are the same thing as they require different techniques. My point is when u got hired as a modeler, u are responsible to all the modeling tasks. And u don't get to choose most of the time. So it's better to be good in every single modeling aspect then only focus on one. You can be a terrific character modeler, but u still need to know how to model a car, a tree, a building, etc.
Ray Leung
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

Re: SCAD offering

文章Ray Leung » 3日 7月 2010年, 21:58

ayakiryu 寫:Basically I have an offer from the master course in SCAD the Hong Kong Campus but I want to go to Australia to take the landscape architecture instead . Somehow the application I made for the Feb entry will have to take another half year to process .

Do you think I should take the master course instead or wait another half of year if the application for the Australia uni is successed ?

My advise is don't bother to take any animation related program from any of the universities. You can learn way more by just browsing on the CG forum or reading the 3d program user menu. If you really feel like taking a 3d course, go to animation school. I guarantee u won't be disappointed.
Ray Leung
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章ayakiryu » 4日 7月 2010年, 00:26

To Ray Leung

I understand that I can not give a correction on you or another member because I feel that I'm a 'rookies' in 3d .However I have did a lot of research on SCAD and SCAD has a good reputation in America . Not only the reputation also the staffs abilties are qualify as well and most of them have been to the industry; if you make some research on internet .

From my point of view I do not guarantee that SCAD will be the best university in Hong Kong but I assume that they will not fail every applicant 's confidence .
ayakiryu
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

下一頁

回到 C G 討論版

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 3 位訪客