Why do ILM sticks with SOFTIMAGE 3D? I think XSI is better.

各XSI / Softimage/Face Robot 用戶可在這裡交流問題和分享制作經驗

版主: HapZungLam

Why do ILM sticks with SOFTIMAGE 3D? I think XSI is better.

文章Alex » 15日 6月 2002年, 07:29

How come ILM sticks with SOFTIMAGE 3D to do the CG in Star Wars 2? Why not use SOFTIMAGE XSI ? I thought SOFTIMAGE XSI is a newer and better software than SOFTIMAGE 3D.
頭像
Alex
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 34
註冊時間: 3日 6月 2002年, 13:18
來自: Canada

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

文章Rock » 15日 6月 2002年, 07:53

I don't understand neither. XSI is so much better than 3D but why big company like ILM still use 3D instead of XSI. I have one more question : Do Centro and Menfond use Softiamage XSI ? I heard from many people that Centro and Menfond are only using Softimage 3D. If the answer is "no", then why do we bother to learn XSI if no companies are using it.
頭像
Rock
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 12
註冊時間: 2日 6月 2002年, 01:34

文章Wolf » 15日 6月 2002年, 10:16

The Softimage that ILM is using isn't the Softimage that you're used to - it's so doctored up by their in-house programmers that it probably works more like Maya :-) The software is also only a screw in their huge production pipeline, which includes many other softwares.

You choose the software to learn not based on how many companies are using it, but based on how it suits your budget and way of working. In fact, in terms of marketability, if a software suits you very well and you can do really fantastic stuff with it, it's all the better that few people are using it because you would have few competitors. That's why I always find it funny that software fanatics try so hard to convert other people to their camps, and unknowingly making more job competitors for themselves.
Wolf
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章: 260
註冊時間: 26日 2月 2002年, 08:00

文章Luke Cheung » 15日 6月 2002年, 13:05

I don't know about Menfond but I am sure that Centro used Softimage XSI in Shaolin Soccer. In fact, they used both Softimage 3D and Softimage XSI. For more information, go to www.softimage.com/Community/xsi/mag/cs/ ... Centro.htm
Luke Cheung
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 15
註冊時間: 23日 4月 2002年, 09:13

Re: Why do ILM sticks with SOFTIMAGE 3D? I think XSI is bett

文章tdk » 15日 6月 2002年, 13:38

Alex 寫:How come ILM sticks with SOFTIMAGE 3D to do the CG in Star Wars 2? Why not use SOFTIMAGE XSI ? I thought SOFTIMAGE XSI is a newer and better software than SOFTIMAGE 3D.

they have developed tons of custom code, in-house program to use with softimage and their production pipeline. beside a well developed production workflow, it's hard for a company that big to change their main software overnight.

also, I doubt you can call it softimage anymore except the interface look the same. :D
tdk
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章: 373
註冊時間: 16日 11月 2001年, 08:00

文章stantang » 15日 6月 2002年, 16:10

I think Alex is talking about latest StarWars. I believe one of the reasons is XSI's still in beta when they started the project. No one wants to do a major upgrade in a middle of a huge project.
頭像
stantang
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章: 1566
註冊時間: 8日 11月 2001年, 08:00
來自: Groom Lake

文章tdk » 15日 6月 2002年, 16:37

stantang 寫:I think Alex is talking about latest StarWars. I believe one of the reasons is XSI's still in beta when they started the project. No one wants to do a major upgrade in a middle of a huge project.

ILM is ALWAYS in the middle of HUGE project.

take a look at this article

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6011

if you are right, they would NEVER do such a major platform shift (from SGI to intel linux)

as I said (and wolf said), it's because they have customize softimage so much, they have tons of asset and code written specific for softimage, upgrade is not as easy as you might think.
tdk
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章: 373
註冊時間: 16日 11月 2001年, 08:00

文章Wolf » 15日 6月 2002年, 19:38

> upgrade is not as easy as you might think

Nor is it necessary a lot of the time. He he... how many of you have outdone ILM's Softimage work with your XSI work? No, make it: how many of you have outdone the pseudopod sequence in "The Abyss" (done with Alias PowerAnimator version 1, more than 15 years ago) with your (insert latest software here) work? See?
Wolf
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章: 260
註冊時間: 26日 2月 2002年, 08:00

文章stantang » 16日 6月 2002年, 01:50

Yes I agree with what TDK said. What I mean is XSI is not really a upgrade for Soft 3D, but more like a brand new program. Plus XSI was in beta when they started Starwars Ep.II. I believe they are introducing it into the pipeline. I think platform shift is a different story since both sgi and linux are unix based. Just my 2 cents. Peace off.
頭像
stantang
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章: 1566
註冊時間: 8日 11月 2001年, 08:00
來自: Groom Lake

文章HapZungLam » 2日 7月 2002年, 00:43

Capcom, Namco, Tecmo, Konami, they all still using soft3D. i forgot their reasons. there is something that they think 3D is better, but i just forgot what is it.
頭像
HapZungLam
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章: 1143
註冊時間: 30日 8月 2001年, 08:00
來自: Vancouver

文章aj » 11日 8月 2002年, 12:58

大公司不像小公司 可以說換就換 如果公司有 100人 用SOFTIMAGE 3D,
這100人的教育訓練是見可怕的事. 加上他們為了 SOFTIMAGE 3D開發的 PLUG-INS, 要轉換堧體實在不是一件容易的事 Let's wait and see...
Be 5D。
頭像
aj
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 43
註冊時間: 9日 8月 2002年, 09:55
來自: Outer Space.

回到 Autodesk Softimage

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 1 位訪客