How many people is doing CA or studying CA?

CG Education
討論有關CG課程,不論初學者/持續進修/ 學位或碩仕課程 ; 以及本地,國內或外地升學等.

文章Tigger » 7日 4月 2004年, 10:19

thanks kenny,

i used to study in UK but not in Bournemouth and have returned to HK straight after i graduated. those friends are my former teachers and senior course-mates.

... sad to tell you that i almost completely left the CG industry, but am missing this job type.
Tigger
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 35
註冊時間: 29日 9月 2001年, 08:00

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

文章Andrew Lee » 8日 4月 2004年, 16:45

hi tigger,

yes, im the one who graduated from bournemouth, but it was just last year, so i havent heard about Liam Scanlan and Chris Shaw, but the course leader should be the same guy who is John Vince, he is quite short

by the way, did u study computer animation? which year? and u mentioned u almost left cg, so what r u doing now?

andrew
頭像
Andrew Lee
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章: 1562
註冊時間: 4日 8月 2003年, 09:24
來自: Hong Kong
外號: Andrew Lee

文章Tigger » 9日 4月 2004年, 01:47

hi andrew,

good to hear from you and indeed i have a copy of John Vince's book on CG. i never meet him but he seems very famous in the academic field worldwide.

regarding my past and future ... long story ... i graduated nearly 10 yrs. ago in another art college in UK located in Cornwall (where Liam used to teach me by that time, but never really teach me in person since they stoped teaching computer graphics program just before my turn joining the group). anyway, he's the one who throw me into CG cause i was playing with their 1st 3D toy called 3D Studio (v2) and he found me doing good by myself ... i did my 1st piece of CA with this toy ...

then i used to work as an CG animator for quite sometimes in HK but the company closed down many yrs. ago ... and i was sort of hanging in and out of CG and finally i'm working temporarily to teach something else ... pretty sad though!

... i'm too old to stayup overnight working to rush for deadline although i still need to stay up late ... i used to work on SoftImage|3D and only knows very little of XSI cause i find XSI is more complex than Maya ... what do you think??

you mentioned you learnt XSI at uni and do you find it a very powerful app. program? how about comparing with Maya? most animators in HK only use Maya and they dislike XSI and other programs ... i'm playing XSI in spare time and would like to regain my skillsets on SI ...

talk to you later as i need to go take care of my other toy!!

happy easter

tigger
Tigger
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章Andrew Lee » 9日 4月 2004年, 06:05

tigger,

thanks for telling me ur story, after reading it, i feel that im so luck, cos CG field is more active in all over the world, even in hk, so that i have more chance to work, :)

about the comparison of XSI and Maya, it is a non-stop and forever topic, i m probably a person have no enough experience to say, but i would say something anyway, :P

not only hk use Maya more, same as UK, I use XSI for about a year in uni, about 4 months of Maya in the company im working on. To be honest, i really perfer XSI to Maya (i know a lot of people disagree). especialy the modelling tools, XSI is better, i found that a lot of Maya user have writen some script and try to copy XSI (which can be downloaded from internet). but basicly they are pretty similar, just need time to get used to.

please everyone correct me if i am wrong

what about u? whick one do u perfer?

what 'toy' u need to take care? what is it?

andrew
頭像
Andrew Lee
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章Tigger » 9日 4月 2004年, 17:43

andrew,

good to hear you also prefer xsi, me too. indeed, my new toy is 'max 6' ... need to do it for $ and i find the v6 is far better than i thought cause max is all over the places includes everybody's home

besides, personally think i need to keep my hands on a popular toy apart from xsi(coz i find xsi's material & texture is far more than powerful, it confused me all the times). and since maya moved onto apple machine, it declined a bit and everybody is still gossiping on it's new owner ...

i wonder do they also train you to do a bit of C programming in Bournemouth? could you write small programs? and i also want to know do you need to stay up late to work in London? an old friend of mine(also a graduate from Bournemouth) used to work in a small CG studio in UK (don't quite remember which one) now moved to PDI and it seems there're a lot of British animator in Hollywood.

personally think you could follow their path and don't plan to return HK if you truly want to become a famous animator ...

would you be going to NAB or siggraph ... you should be able to meet many many british animators over these events ...

catch you next time

tigger
Tigger
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章Andrew Lee » 10日 4月 2004年, 00:38

tigger,

im glad to hear u prefer xsi as well, i do agree with the texturing is powerful in xsi, and also the modelling, animation mixer, synoptic view, metal ray rendering.... (i must just made the maya fnas angry, hehehe)

actually, we split into three different class in bournemouth, MA 3D computer animation, MSC speical effect and MSC animation. i was studying in MA 3D computer animation, those 2 MSC class have a lot of programing and scripting lesson, we also had a scripting lesson in MA, but a lot less than MSC. however, most of the MA people hate and very crap in scripting, and i was the worst student in maths and scripting, so, shame to tell u that i know nothing about it, :P

the cg people in uk are very luck compare with hk, we dont really need to stay up very late to work, normally we leave office around 9pm to 12am, never work overnight, sounds great, isnt it?

actually, animator is not my ideal job, concept designer is. i am not a technical person, i prefer drawing whatever the idea comes out from my mind, intead of do what im told. heheh

i dont think i will go to NAB or siggraph, i would rather spend my annual leave to go back to hk, cos i havent been back to hk for four years la, :(

andrew
www.andrewlee.hk
頭像
Andrew Lee
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章Tigger » 25日 4月 2004年, 00:49

Andrew,

then come back and visit your home town! any plan going to the State, like some of your senior course-mates ... Hollywood seems a good place to work

good luck
Tigger
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章unisa » 26日 4月 2004年, 05:44

Andrew

i am a final year BA (multimedia) student in australia
i will plan to study MMDes next year..one year more

unluckily, there is no MA (animation) in australia now. i need to do self-learning in my MMDes if i want to do animation.

so....how is the tuition fee in UK for MA?
austraila MMDes is about $10000 for a whole program
unisa
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 2
註冊時間: 26日 4月 2004年, 05:21
來自: hk/australia

文章unisa » 26日 4月 2004年, 05:46

austraila MMDes is about $10000 for a whole program

that is HK$.....sorry!!
unisa
討論區新秀
討論區新秀

文章: 2
註冊時間: 26日 4月 2004年, 05:21
來自: hk/australia

文章Andrew Lee » 28日 4月 2004年, 02:07

tigger,

yes, everyone saying State and Canada are the best place for CG. But i think i am not ready to go there yet. i need to work harder and get more experience right now.
www.andrewlee.hk
頭像
Andrew Lee
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章Andrew Lee » 28日 4月 2004年, 02:14

unisa,

welcome to join us, compare with australia, the tuition fee is a lot more expensive in uk, let's say the uni i studied last year, it costed me 8,000 pounds (around 112,000 HKD) per year. but the uni does the job,
www.andrewlee.hk
頭像
Andrew Lee
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章沉睡中的龍 » 4日 5月 2004年, 07:28

I am studying Multimedia too, but just 1st year.
I wonder that is it difficult to work in other places rather than HK as you know HK is no good to develop skills.
沉睡中的龍
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章: 128
註冊時間: 25日 8月 2003年, 11:54

文章Andrew Lee » 4日 5月 2004年, 20:22

沉睡中的龍

there is a lot of cg companies in uk, a lot of opportunity over here, according to what i've seen, it is not difficult to work in here at all if you have certain skills with a good showreel. however, it is quite difficult for non-european people, especialy for asian. (according to my experience and what i've seen.....i might be wrong)

although i ve left hk quite a while, i still (try to) keep my eye on the cg news in hk, i think hk is getting better and better, isnt it? so no need to worry too much la :)

andrew
www.andrewlee.hk
頭像
Andrew Lee
討論區主持
討論區主持

文章沉睡中的龍 » 8日 5月 2004年, 01:18

Andrew Lee 寫:沉睡中的龍

there is a lot of cg companies in uk, a lot of opportunity over here, according to what i've seen, it is not difficult to work in here at all if you have certain skills with a good showreel. however, it is quite difficult for non-european people, especialy for asian. (according to my experience and what i've seen.....i might be wrong)

although i ve left hk quite a while, i still (try to) keep my eye on the cg news in hk, i think hk is getting better and better, isnt it? so no need to worry too much la :)

andrew

If so, maybe I need to go to malaysia. I know there are some good company for animation but not multimedia.......
So what way do u find the job in UK?
I dont have any skills, maybe I even cant find a job in HK :oops:
沉睡中的龍
CGV討論區會員
CGV討論區會員

文章: 128
註冊時間: 25日 8月 2003年, 11:54

文章Andrew Lee » 8日 5月 2004年, 05:49

i had a graduation show last summer. quite a lot of companies came to the show. one of them saw my showreel and contacted me the next day. that was how i got in this company.

it is impossible that you dont have any skills when you are studying multimedia bor! you must have some, dont worry, dont think in negative way, be positive, dont never ever give up before you try to apply a job. everyone has the same chance. good luck.
www.andrewlee.hk
頭像
Andrew Lee
討論區主持
討論區主持

上一頁下一頁

回到 C G 課程及進修交流

誰在線上